If I had to choose my favorite berry of all time, it would be blueberries…for sure. I’m so lucky that we can getting them locally, practically in my backyard! Recently, I went to an event for BC Blueberries where they were showcasing many different dishes featuring blueberries. So naturally it got me inspired! What was more interesting at the event though, is how many savory dishes can be made with blueberries as well. They did this pork belly with a blueberry sauce and it was divine! Its great to get new ideas on how to use local fruit.
In other news, I recently joined Periscope which is live broadcasting (on your mobile phone), and I’m LOVING it! Its so fun being able to do quick broadcasts on a daily basis and give you a sneak peek of food and health tips and a peek into my daily life! I actually did a broadcast the other day when my daughter and I went to a blueberry farm to pick local berries! If you have a Twitter account its super easy to join, as its connected with Twitter. I’d love if you followed along to connect! Broadcasts are only saved for 24 hours, but if you join and follow along, you get a notification when I go live!
Ok, so now back to the cheesecake. The healthy cheesecake. This amazingly creamy and delicious creation doesn’t contain cream cheese at all. Color me shocked, right? It gets that creamy, velvety cheesecake texture with no cream cheese!!! This recipe is similar to the other cheesecake protein bar recipes I have, but with the blueberry lemon combination which is simply delicious! Have you tried any other of my healthy cheesecake protein bars yet? The list includes:
Cheesecake Protein Bars (the original)
Peanut Butter Chocolate Cheesecake Protein Bars
Key Lime Cheesecake Protein Bars
Coconut Cheesecake Protein Bars
Lemon Cheesecake Protein Bars
Pumpkin Cheesecake Protein Bars
Maple Walnut Cheesecake Protein Bars
I make one of the varieties about once a month. We all love them and they are such a healthy treat. We usually have a couple in the evening as a before bed snack!
I urge you hop on the train and give this recipe a try! (or maybe one of the other flavor combinations!)
- 2 cups non-fat greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp flour (I used a gluten-free all purpose, if not gf, use regular all purpose flour)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ cup stevia for baking ( I used NuNaturals MoreFiber. Or use sweetener of choice, adjust to taste)
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs (for gluten-free, I used 7 S'morables Gluten Free Graham Crackers, pulsed to make crumbs)
- 3 Tbsp chia seeds
- ½ cup whey protein, vanilla (I used Jamie's Lean Body for Her Whey Concentrate)
- 5 Tbsp melted butter (could also use coconut oil)
- 30 drops vanilla stevia (I used NuNaturals) *could omit
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F. Spray and 8x8 pan with cooking spray.
- In a blender or food processor, mix together all the filling ingredients and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together all the crust ingredients with a fork (add melted butter last) until combined.
- Press the crust evenly into the 8x8 pan.
- Pour the filling over the crust and spread out to cover evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes until it just becomes golden around the edges and its all set.
- Cool for at least a few hours in the fridge. Cut into 16 squares. Keep stored in the fridge.