Healthy chocolate treats are always on the menu at my house, and ones that are super easy to prepare are a big bonus! These are chocolatey, satisfying and pack a protein punch!
It doesn’t get more simple than these brownie protein truffles. They are no-bake, gluten free and only 4 ingredients if you don’t include toppings. But I love how they look, and taste, with an array of goodies on top.
I picked a couple of my favorite toppings (pistachio and coconut), and the kids picked sprinkles…and of course they did 😉
The texture of these are amazing! Soft and chewy, and a cross between a brownie and a truffle. I recommend using a whey protein in this recipe. Either a high quality whey isolate or whey isolate/concentrate combo. In chocolate, of course. I don’t recommend using a vegan or non-whey protein in this particular recipe as you won’t get the same texture.
Time for her close-up!
These are best stored in the fridge versus the freezer so they keep their chewy texture. I doubt you’ll need to think about freezing them anyway. We’re down to half a batch after a couple days!
Not only are these great for the family, they are a perfect gift for a friend or gym buddy.
Once they’re done, just store in an airtight container in the fridge and they’re ready for mouth-popping!
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup honey (I used Nature's Hollow Sugar-Free Honey. Could also use regular honey, agave, brown rice syrup) * see note
- 1 cup whey protein, chocolate
- 2 Tbsp+ of milk (if needed)
- In a mixing bowl, add the cocoa powder and whey protein. Mix to combine.
- Then add in the honey and peanut butter (if your peanut butter is too hard, warm in the microwave for 30 seconds).
- Mix together with a wooden spoon or your hands. Add milk if necessary to bring it together so its not crumbly. I used about 2 Tbsp. Just add as needed to have them roll into balls easily.
- Roll into 30 balls.
- Roll balls into desired toppings, if you find your toppings aren't sticking, wet your hand a touch, roll the ball again in the toppings and it will stick. I found with coconut I needed to press it into the ball in the palm of my hand.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.