Cookies with chunks are probably the most delicious kind of cookies out there. I mean, what’s better than biting into one and getting a chunk of deliciousness. That’s exactly the idea behind these chunky monkey cookies. Gluten-free cookies are hard to make taste like regular cookies. Not to toot my own horn, but oh my gosh, these are really amazing and taste like a cookie coming from a bakery. What’s even more awesome is that these are made healthier by using natural sweeteners, coconut oil and natural peanut butter.
When these are baked, it sweetens up the chunks of banana to make them dried banana chunks. Wowsers. They get all sweet and sticky and even more delicious! I decided to use a gluten free flour mix instead of oat flour, as I find when it comes to cookies, it just works better and tastes more like a “real” cookie. This recipe is pretty versatile, as I think it would still work fine with all purpose flour if you aren’t gluten-free.
Or if you wanted it to be even healthier, a non-gluten free option would be using half all-purpose flour and half whole wheat flour. All whole wheat flour would be pretty heavy. But I can’t guarantee it as I personally haven’t tested it done this way. But if you do try it, I’d love you to report back!
My whole family loved these, and they didn’t last very long. They are definitely best served fresh, as they have that freshly baked crispiness. That tends to get lost once they get stored in a container. Still delicious, just not as good as the freshly baked version.
Next time you’re looking for a healthy gluten-free cookie recipe, I hope you try these!
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup natural peanut butter, smooth
- ¼ cup stevia for baking (or xylitol), or extra coconut palm sugar
- ½ cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour *see note
- ½ cup chocolate chunks (I used milk chocolate baking chunks)
- 1 banana, chopped
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together the coconut oil, peanut butter and coconut sugar.
- Then add in egg and vanilla and stir until mixed and smooth.
- Next, add in your stevia, gf flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the chopped banana and chocolate chunks.
- Drop by spoonful onto an ungreased non-stick cookie sheet. Flatten cookies slightly with the back of a spoon or your hand.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 11 minutes until golden around the edges and cooked through.