Since my original recipe for Cheesecake Protein Bars were such a hit, I knew it would be a great idea to do a couple variations on the base recipe. Anything lime or key lime is a favorite in my book, and these are an amazing combo of tartness and sweetness.
Since these cheescake protein bars, don’t actually contain any cream cheese, they make a great snack. Even though they seem dessert-ish, you do have the benefits of greek yogurt, flax, whey protein and stevia in there. Anything that I can put from the “dessert” category into the “snack” category is a big win for me. It also has a decent amount of protein in each square, all while keeping the sugar low and carbs moderate.
Even though there is no cream cheese, the texture is very cream cheese-like. I don’t recommend using anything other than greek yogurt, as you really need the thickness of it. The eggs help to firm it up and help it set the cheesecake.
These bars could easily be frozen for up to a month (if they even make it to the freezer), and are best enjoyed right out of the fridge as they will need to stay chilled.
Up next I’ve got a peanut butter/chocolate version, and I’d love to hear your comments below with some other flavor suggestions.
Keep calm, and eat cheesecake (I think that will be my new motto) 😉
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups non-fat greek yogurt
- ½ cup stevia for baking or 15 packets (or whatever sweetener you like just test for sweetness level)
- 3 tsp lime zest
- 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp + 2 tsp gluten free flour (if not gluten free, use all purpose)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, add in the greek yogurt and whisk until smooth. Next, add in the lime juice and lime zest and whisk. Then, add in the stevia and flour a little at a time, whisking after each addition.
- Once the cheesecake filling is whisked until smooth, set aside
- Next, start the base. Mist or lightly oil an 8x8 pan.
- In a bowl, mix together the graham cracker crumbs, flax, whey protein and liquid stevia (if using).
- Once the dry ingredients are combined, drizzle in the melted butter and stir until its all combined.
- Press the graham crumb mixture evenly into the bottom of the 8x8 square pan. Ensure you pack it down firmly.
- Then pour over the cheesecake filling and spread it around so its even.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx. 45-47 minutes
- When its done, it will just start to go golden around the edges, and it will jiggle slightly in the middle shake it side to side slightly.
- If it still seems too liquidy in the middle, bake for a few minutes longer.
- Allow to cool completely, then put into the fridge and allow to chill completely.
- Will take 1-2 hours to completely chill in the fridge.
- Keep stored in the fridge with tin foil over top of the pan.