This Lazy Lasagna Soup won for meatless Monday! So happy with how this soup came together and it really tasted like lasagna. I decided to try it meatless using Yves Veggie Ground Original. It turned out really great and has a similar texture to meat. In a soup like this its hard to tell whether its meat or an alternative. I bet if you told no one they wouldn’t know!
Of course, as always, you can sub for ground turkey or beef or leave it out all together. I’ve been trying to add in more plant-based meals to our repertoire and this recipe will definitely be around again in the future!
I kept it classic, but this soup could really get switched up with different ingredients to totally transform it. I’d love to try a butternut squash version next.
- 10 lasagna noodles, broken in pieces (I used 1 280 g box of Tinkyada brown rice lasagna noodles)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 340 g pack Yves Veggie Ground Original
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 3 cups no salt added veggie or chicken broth
- 1 26 oz (or 796 mL) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup sliced mushroom
- Garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce (couple dashes)
- Mozzarella cheese (for topping)
- In a large pot, add water and bring to a boil for the pasta noodles.
- Once the water is boiling, break up the lasagna noodles into small pieces. Cook until the noodles are almost soft (al dente). Drain and set aside.
- In a separate large pot, heat over medium and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Add in the chopped onion and cook until they soften.
- Crumble in the veggie ground , chopped garlic and dried oregano.
- Saute until the onions are translucent and the veggie ground has browns a little.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes and broth.
- Season to taste with optional seasonings (pepper, garlic powder, worchestershire).
- If using, add in spinach and mushrooms and allow to all cook together for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the drained lasagna noodles and cook for 5 minutes more allowing all the flavors to come together.