Not your typical peanut butter ball…these are healthy peanut butter balls. These are lower in fat, lower in sugar and are a perfect holiday snack. Peanut butter balls, also known as Buckeye’s are a traditional holiday treat. To be honest I find regular peanut balls overly sweet. I love these as they’re not over the top sweet, but amazing none the less, cause hello… peanut butter and chocolate!
A great option for a healthier holiday treat. We make these every year, the whole family loves them!
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (smooth)
- 2 x 30 gram scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- 20 drops liquid stevia (I used NuNaturals vanilla stevia) *
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tsp coconut oil, melted (could also use another light oil)
- If your peanut butter is really firm, bring it to room temperature so its easier to mix. Microwaving it for 20-30 seconds works well.
- In a bowl, mix together peanut butter, protein powder and liquid stevia. It will form into a dough. Roll into 15 balls.
- Place the balls in the freezer over parchment or wax paper for 20 minutes until firm. (Important step, as if you don't freeze them first, they won't hold up when rolled in the chocolate)
- Melt chocolate chips and coconut oil (or other oil) for 30 seconds your microwave, or over the stove in a small pot with a low heat. Stir. Microwave longer if needed until melted.
- Using 2 forks, roll the balls in the chocolate as you would with a truffle. Remove and place on parchment paper on a plate or cookie sheet. Repeat for all 15 balls.
- Place back in freezer to set. I would store them in an air tight container in the freezer. Take out 10 minutes before serving.
* If you find the dough is too dry to form balls, add water, 1 Tbsp at a time to make the balls a roll-able consistency