Sweet and delicious pumpkin swirl bread with ribbons of pumpkin spice and cinnamon throughout. Sounds amazing, right? Well it really is. The addition of pumpkin in this bread makes the end result so moist, that you won’t even know its boosted with extra protein.
Over the years, I’ve done a lot of baking with whey protein powder. If you’re not used to working with it, your end result could be very dry, so you have to be careful with how much you use, and what other ingredients the recipe contains. A goal for me when working with protein is that I don’t want to notice its even there. But the nutrition speaks for itself.
This Pumpkin Swirl Bread with Jamie’s Whey Isolate is a great intro recipe if you haven’t baked with whey protein before. This recipe itself is actually a modification of one of Jamie Eason’s famous recipes (her Cinnamon Swirl Protein Bread). I tried this recipe of hers years ago, and we loved it! So I thought it would be fitting to put a pumpkin spin on it, all while using her very own brand of protein.
This recipe is filled with such great ingredients like oat flour, eggs, almond milk and whey protein. Oat flour is the easiest thing to make. All you do is grind rolled oats in your blender or food processor. I always grind a bunch at a time in my Blendtec, and store in a big plastic container.
In this particular recipe, I recommend that you use a granulated stevia in the topping. Something that resembles table sugar. That’s the main reason why I chose to use Truvia. It has erythritol in it, which is a natural sugar alcohol that happens to be pretty bulky and granular. For the bread itself, you can use whatever type of stevia you wish. I opted for the NuNaturals More Fiber blend as I had it on hand.
The addition of the pumpkin spice in this really makes a great pairing with the pumpkin, but feel free to use whatever spices you like. I’ll definitely be making this again soon. Great way to give my girls some healthy pumpkin. Plus, we all loved it, and the batch was gone before I knew it!
- 1½ cups oat flour
- ½ cup Jamie's Lean Body For Her Whey Isolate, vanilla *
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup canned pumpkin
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ½ cup stevia baking blend or 12 packets stevia (I used NuNaturals More Fiber Baking Blend)
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 5 Tbsp granulated stevia or xylitol (I used 11 packets of Truvia)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8x8 square pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, mix together all the dry ingredients (oat flour, whey protein, baking powder, salt, stevia).
- Add in the canned pumpkin, milk, egg and egg whites. Mix until fully combined.
- Meanwhile, mix together the topping ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour half the pumpkin batter into your baking pan. Smooth it out. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon/stevia mixture on the batter.
- Pour the remaining batter in the pan, smooth it out, and sprinkle the remaining cinnamon/stevia mixture on the top.
- Take a knife and swirl the batter to create a marbled look.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes until just cooked but still moist.
* Oat flour can be made easily by grinding regular oats in a blender or food processor.