Autumn has me thinking about apples! Oh how I love apples. I’ve recently been toying with the idea of trying new varieties. I’m usually a tart apple kind of gal. I used granny smith in this recipe, but you could use whatever kind of apple you want. You’ll love how these have all the apple crumble flavor, but it doesn’t affect the waistline like a regular high fat crumble would!
They’re great to make ahead for a grab-n-go snack…
I enjoy having them with a cup of hot tea. They can also be made with or without the added protein. This recipe would be a great addition to your children’s lunchbox.
- 1½ cups oat flour
- 2 x 30 g scoops (or ½ cup) whey protein powder vanilla **or sub for extra ½ cup oat flour
- 10 packets stevia ** or sub ⅓ to ½ cup sugar substitute or coconut palm sugar or sucanat (nutrition will change)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites (I used ¼ cup carton egg whites)
- ⅔ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1¼ cups peeled & chopped apple (I used granny smith)
- 1 tsp granola (per muffin) * I used Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add in wet ingredients and mix.
- Lastly fold in apples.
- Fill oiled (or silicone) muffin tins about ⅔ full. Sprinkle about 1 tsp of crumble to each muffin. Bake for 12 minutes or until toothpick comes clean.