Spring is finally here! What a brutal winter that was…for everyone across the country! I can’t remember the last time we had snow so frequently in Vancouver. Glad its over! With the beautiful weather we’ve been having lately, I wanted to make something fresh and light, and tasty, of course. I made this in about 15 minutes, so its a perfect weeknight dinner. Who knew these Asian Turkey Lettuce Wraps would be such a hit with the whole family.
My girls tend to like anything that somewhat resembles a taco, so telling them it was a taco with a different sauce was a good selling feature! You can of course swap out with any veggies you prefer. I just happened to use what we like.
I decided to use store-bought hoisin sauce to make it quick and easy, but if you prefer to make it with a homemade sauce you can do that too. I’d like to try another version with a homemade honey/peanut sauce.
As mentioned in a quick note in the recipe, you can easily make this higher carb for the kids by adding some plain rice in the bottom of the lettuce cups. I had some pre-cooked white rice on hand, but would also be great with brown rice or quinoa. You could always pick up one of those microwaveable rice packs of plain rice if you need a quick option!
- 1 lb (454 grams) lean ground turkey
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup carrot, shredded
- ½ cup water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- chopped green onions
- chopped peanuts
- Prep the veggies. Chop red pepper, water chestnuts and carrot.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Lightly spray with oil, and brown raw turkey, garlic and ginger in the pan.
- Once the turkey starts to brown, add in the carrot. Stir for a couple minutes, then add in the red pepper and water chestnuts.
- Cook down until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add in the hoisin sauce and stir until combined, cooking a couple more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the iceberg lettuce in half through the center of the core. Remove the core and remove lettuce cups.
- Place a bit of turkey mixture in a lettuce cup and top with optional garnish (green onion and peanuts).