Blueberries are in season now, and what better way to use some of them up than with a crumb cake! I must admit, put a streusel topping on anything and I’d eat it! This recipe was inspired by Ina’s Blueberry Crumb Cake recipe in the The Barefoot Contessa at Home.
I just made healthier modifications. Its one of my favorites in my cookbook collection! Hope you enjoy it as my family does.
- ¼ cup granulated sugar or baking stevia (like NuNaturals or another sugar substitute for baking)
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar (or sucanat or another brown sugar)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup melted butter (for dairy free use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup oat flour (*I make mine by grinding raw quick oats or rolled oats in a blender)
- 3 Tbsp butter (for dairy free use Earth Balance)
- ½ cup granulated sugar or baking stevia (like NuNaturals)
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ⅔ cup non-fat greek yogurt (for dairy free use coconut, soy, or almond milk yogurt)
- 1¼ cup oat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 heaping cup fresh blueberries (I'm sure you could also use frozen)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9 inch round cake or pie pan. In a small bowl, mix together all the streusel ingredients, adding the melted butter last, and stir together. Set aside.
- To a stand mixer with paddle attachment or large bowl, cream together the butter, applesauce, sugar. Add egg one at a time, and mix until combined well. Add vanilla. Then mix in greek yogurt. Add in all the dry ingredients (oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt), mix until combined. Lastly fold in blueberries with spatula.
- Pour cake batter into your cake pan, and sprinkle on the streusel topping with your hands evenly over the cake batter. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes or until a cake tester comes clean.
- Cut into 8 large pieces, or 16 smaller ones. Calculated nutrition for 8 large pieces, but if you cut into 16 pieces, just drop the nutrition info by half.
Calories: 136 Fat: 7.5 g Carbs: 23 g Fiber: 1.6 g Sugars: 4 g Sodium: 184 mg Protein: 3.5 g