We love Mexican food, but often we get tired of having tacos on Mexican night. So to switch it up I came up with this ridiculously easy chicken and black bean Mexican casserole and it was delicious!
Black beans and they are so high in fiber and protein they are a great bean to add to various dishes. Even though there is chicken in this, it could be omitted to make vegetarian.
I love a good casserole any time of year, and I especially love having the leftovers for lunch the next day. This doesn’t make a huge amount as its in an 8×8 dish, but if you want more, you could easily double the recipe and put in a 9×13 dish for lots of extras. You could even switch it up by using kidney beans instead of black beans and swapping out the enchilada sauce for red or green salsa.
I hope you give it a try on your next Mexican night!
- 6 small corn tortillas
- ¾ cup onion, chopped
- 2 cups (approx 10 oz) cooked shredded chicken (I used white meat rotisserie chicken)
- 1 can (14 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen (or fresh) corn
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup (100g) shredded cheese (I used monterey jack)
- non-fat greek yogurt
- fresh chopped cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In an 8x8 oven-safe dish, spray lightly with cooking spray. Line with 3 tortillas, cutting them in half if necessary to cover the whole bottom of the dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together everything except the shredded cheese and garnish.
- Spread half the chicken mixture over the first layer of tortillas.
- Add another layer of corn tortillas over the first layer of chicken mixture.
- Add the other half of the chicken mixture on top of the tortillas.
- Top with cheese and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and starting to brown around the edges and the cheese is fully melted.
- Top with garnish if desired.