Warm soup with a sandwich on the side is my kind of fall lunch. Toasted gluten free bread, and mushroom soup that is homemade with no can in sight. Personally, I’ve never been a fan of cream of mushroom soup (from a can). It doesn’t even compare to this three mushroom soup made with fresh mushrooms. So many flavors going on in here with the mushrooms, thyme, rosemary, bacon and beef broth.
Since soup alone isn’t sustaining enough for me, I always like a hearty sandwich on the side. I used the Dempster’s Gluten Zero Bread (the whole grain version), as it toasts so nicely and is a great size for a sandwich. The combination of the chicken, pear and pecan together is delicious and perfect for a cold fall day.
Paired together, or made separately, this chicken pear pecan sandwich with three mushroom soup would make a great addition to any lunch menu. The soup can be made ahead very easily so you can take it to work or school. Would also freeze well.
- 2 slices Dempster's Gluten Zero Whole Grain Bread
- 1 tsp light mayo
- 1 tsp pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup pear, thinly sliced
- 2 oz pre-cooked chicken breast
- ½ slice light havarti cheese
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 piece butter lettuce
- 2 cups portobello mushroom, chopped
- 2 cups white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup shittake mushrooms, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped (I used PC Free From Bacon)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups leeks, rinsed and chopped
- 4 cups (1 carton), 33% less sodium beef broth
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice, or omit)
- For the sandwich, toast the bread (if desired). Once toasted, spread on the mayo, and layer all the other ingredients.
- For the soup, in a large soup pot, over medium heat, add the raw chopped bacon. When it starts to render down and release some of the fat, add the mushrooms, and cook those down for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped leeks (make sure they have been rinsed well after they're chopped as it tends to hold a lot of dirt). Once the leeks are in, add the chopped garlic as well.
- Cook together the mushrooms, leeks, garlic. Add in the thyme, rosemary and pepper. Cook together until its all softened.
- Once the vegetables are soft, pour in all the beef broth. Cover and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Once simmered, remove half the soup, puree in a blender, then return back to the soup pot.
- Remove from heat, stir in the almond milk (if using).
(per 1 cup)
Cals: 93 Fat: 5.5 g Sodium: 354 mg Carbs: 6.5 g Fiber: 1.2 g Sugars: 1.4 g Protein: 5.6 g
Nutrition Info for Sandwich only
(per entire sandwich)
Cals: 335 Fat: 11 g Sodium: 408 mg Carbs: 36 g Fiber: 6.7 g Sugars: 6 g Protein: 25 g