So remember the recipe mishap that happened a few posts ago? The Thai Curry Chicken Thighs? In case you didn’t see it, that recipe happened by accident as it was originally supposed to be Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Coconut Cream Sauce…but guess who forgot the sun-dried tomatoes when they went to the store? Whoops! So I improvised with what I had on hand, and came up with the Thai version which was also great.
But I am certainly glad that I ended up making the sun-dried tomato version, because it was as delicious as I thought it would be, and very easy to make!
Hard to believe it only takes 6 ingredients to put together this elegant dish. Its perfect for a busy weeknight or to entertain guests. I’m just loving the versatility lately with the light coconut milk. I frequently have it on hand, and we love creamy chicken dishes that don’t use real cream but still taste creamy and delicious.
Since coconut milk is naturally higher in fat, I wanted to use sun-dried tomatoes not packed in oil. But if a high fat dish isn’t a concern for you, you could most definitely use the variety packed in oil. They tend to be infused with herbs too, so they might actually be really nice in this dish. But I found the plain dried sun-dried tomatoes worked great, and they didn’t even need to be reconstituted beforehand as they soften up in the sauce all by themselves.
The seasoning in this dish is totally up to your discretion. I thought it got a lot of flavor from the garlic, tomatoes, salt, pepper, basil and Parmesan. I bet this would also be delicious with rosemary or another fresh herb you might have on hand.
With how easy and yummy this was, it will definitely be on a regular rotation in our house!
- 12 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on (I remove the skin before eating)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can (14 oz) light coconut milk
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (not in oil)
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese, grated (omit for dairy-free)
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat your large skillet over medium/high heat. I used my large cast iron skillet.
- Season your chicken thighs lightly with pepper (and a touch of salt if desired). Place the chicken thighs in the pan skin side down. Cook until skin is brown....about 5 minutes. Fat will render out. Drain if necessary.
- Flip and cook on the other side for 5 minutes.
- Remove the thighs from the pan. Add the coconut milk, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese. Whisk until combined.
- Add back in the chicken thighs, sprinkle with fresh basil, and place your skillet in the oven. If your skillet isn't oven-proof, transfer to a baking dish.
- Roast the chicken uncovered for an additional 25 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.