Since I loved the Cinnamon-Sugar Pecans so much, I had to try another version. These are great gifts to give away in jars for the holidays.
This recipe is lightly adapted from “The Everyday Low Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook” by Kitty Broihier & Kimberly Mayone.
I stirred them regularly (every 20-30 minutes), so they turned out perfect, and none of them burnt.
- 5 cups raw walnut halves (464 grams, just over 1 lb)
- ¼ cup butter (for no dairy, use non-hydrogenated margarine - I like Earth Balance)
- ¼ cup real maple syrup
- ½ tsp maple extract
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- Turn crock pot on high and put butter in until it melts.
- Add maple syrup, vanilla, maple extract, sea salt and whisk until blended.
- Put in walnuts and toss with a spoon until fully coated. Cover and cook on LOW for approx 1½ to 2 hours checking every 20-30 minutes.
- When done, remove the nuts from the crockpot and spread onto a cookie sheet and allow to cool (good idea to line the cookie sheet with parchment paper to avoid sticking)