You won’t miss the flour in this grain free apple pie. So decadent and delicious, it rivals traditional apple pie. Coconut flour is pretty tough to work with as it absorbs so much moisture and needs a lot of eggs to hold it together. I’ve tried various desserts with coconut flour, and this pie crust is by far the best.
I find I have the most success by mixing coconut flour with almond flour (simply ground almonds). I love that this pie is much lower in carbs and sugar than traditional apple pie. I’ve served it to people that weren’t even on grain-free diets and they loved it. Its just a great tasting apple pie.
The crust dough is very pliable and different from regular pie crust. This crust rolls out very easily, and mistakes are easy to fix. You just press in a bit of additional dough if it cracks a little, so its super easy to touch up.
Oh and the nut crumble topping? Well, that in itself is worth making this pie. It takes the pie to a whole new level, and if you’re a crumble person like myself, I guarantee you’ll go crazy for it.
With quality ingredients and a bit of time, this grain free apple pie would be the perfect addition to any dessert table.
- ½ cup coconut flour, sifted
- ½ cup almond flour or meal
- ¼ cup butter or dairy-free margarine (like Earth Balance), melted
- 2 eggs
- 4 apples, cored, sliced thinly (I kept the skin on)
- ¼ cup sucanat (or coconut palm sugar)
- ¼ tsp liquid stevia or 5 packets of stevia
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- ½ cup sucanat (or coconut palm sugar)
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped (or use food processor)
- 2 Tbsp butter or Earth Balance, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make crust, mix all crust ingredients together and knead for 1 minute. Roll dough between two pieces of wax (or parchment) paper. Remove the top layer of wax paper and gently flip into your pie pan. Peel off the second layer of wax paper. Shape dough into pan. It will break, but its easy to seal the cracks and holes with remaining dough. Trim overhanging edges.
- For filling, placed sliced apples in a saucepan with ½ cup water. Simmer until soft (about 10 minutes), add cinnamon, sucanat & stevia.
- Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup of water and add to apple filling. Stir until thickened. Remove from heat. Place filling into the un-baked pie crust.
- For the nut crumb topping, mix all the crumb ingredients together and sprinkle on top of the pie before baking.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18 minutes.
Nutrition (per slice without crumb topping)
Calories: 184 Fat: 9 g Carbs: 22g Fiber: 6 g Sugars: 10 g Sodium: 90 mg Protein: 4 g