This recipe kind of happened by accident! One night my husband mentioned that he had a pot-luck at work the next day that he completely forgot about. So I searched the cupboards and fridge trying to find something for him to bring.
For a throw together, it turned out amazing, and some people at his work wanted the recipe! When I originally made it, it was with Orzo as I didn’t have Quinoa on hand. So when I made it a second time with quinoa, we liked it better, and quinoa has much more protein.
This is a great make-ahead dish to have in the fridge to have for lunch and take to work/school etc.
- 1.5 cups raw quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 185 grams lower fat feta
- ½ cup sun-dried tomato (not packed in oil), reconstituted in a small bowl of boiling water, then chopped
- ½ whole english cucumber, seeded & chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 4-5 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- In a medium pot add quinoa and water (its a 2:1 ratio, so 3 cups of water should be sufficient.) Bring to a boil, then turn it down to a simmer for 15-20 minutes until done.
- Meanwhile chop up the veggies and add them all to a bowl.
- Add in all the other ingredients.
- Lastly, add the hot quinoa and toss.
- Tastes the best when it has a bit of time to settle in the fridge.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge.