I love easy stews. They are perfect for busy weeknights. The flavors in this greek turkey sausage stew are amazing. Mild sausage with onion, green pepper and greens, then topped with feta and olives?! If you love salty and savory things, this is the dish for you. For stews like this, I tend to use store bought raw turkey sausage. I squeeze it out of the casing and break it up like you would ground meat. For dishes that contain only a few ingredients, its also great as it really flavors the stew without adding a bunch of seasoning.
The only downfall is the sausage tends to be higher in sodium, so you’ll never need to add additional salt, and be sure to use no-salt added tomatoes, or else it will be quite salty. There may be brands of sausage out there that are lower sodium so you’d just have to check labels. I only have 1 or 2 brands that I’ve come across locally, so I don’t seem to have many choices near me. Alternatively, you could use ground turkey and add your own seasonings.
I really liked the addition of a small crumble of feta cheese, a few kalamata olives and a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley. I always love a fresh topping added to a hot stew for some added texture and flavour. Hope you give this one a try on one of your next busy weeknights! Leftovers are great for lunch, so if you want plenty of extra I recommend doubling the batch.
- 1 pack mild italian turkey sausage, raw
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large can (796 mL or 26 oz) no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups chopped swiss chard (or kale, collard greens, spinach etc)
- feta cheese
- pitted kalamata olives
- fresh parsley
- In a large soup pot or deep skillet, squeeze the sausage out of the casing. Break it up with a spoon into smaller pieces.
- As the meat is browning, add in the chopped onion and green pepper and oregano.
- Once the meat is browned and the onion and green pepper is softened, add in the canned tomatoes.
- Allow to simmer for 10 minutes to enhance all the flavors.
- Lastly, wilt in the chopped greens and simmer for a few more minutes.
- Serve, and top with crumbled feta, chopped olives and fresh parsley, if desired.