What do you do with a ripe avocado around? Make guacamole, of course! What do you do with a bunch of guacamole and some lean ground turkey? Well, make some guacamole turkey burgers! That was simply my thought process when making these. I used my guacamole recipe as a base, and went from there. I’m sure glad I decided to have the guacamole in the burger, as well as on the burger. That way, you get a double dose of that delicious guacamole.
This burger is so gorgeous and delicious, a bun isn’t required. I actually had mine with a side of roasted yams. You could totally put them in a bun too, and add lettuce and tomato and that would be fabulous as well.
Naturally, after the fact, I realized that this recipe would also be an amazing turkey meatball recipe. Instead of making burgers, roll them into balls, cook in a skillet to get them nice and browned, then use the extra guacamole as dip! Naturally, you could also have non-fat greek yogurt and salsa as dips too.
So if you’re a guacamole fan, I think you’ll fall in love with these. The guacamole makes the burgers so juicy and flavorful. I will warn you though, the mixture is quite wet to work with, so with these you’re better off cooking them in a skillet (make sure its non-stick or greased well) or on an outdoor grill….also greased well, or baked in the oven on a broiler pan would also work great.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (or 454 g or 16 oz)
- ½ cup quick oats
- 3 egg whites
- ½ large avocado or 1 small-medium sized one (136 g or 5 oz), mashed with a fork
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 small tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- First, prepare the guacamole. In a medium sized bowl, mash the avocado. Add in the onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, cilantro, salt & pepper.
- Once combined, remove ½ cup of the guacamole to reserve for topping
- In another bowl, combine raw turkey, oats and egg whites and remaining guacamole and mix until combined. Mixture will be quite wet.
- Heat a griddle, large skillet or pre-heat your oven (any method will work). If you use an indoor grill, be sure to oil it very well as I noticed with mine, when it clamped down on the meat, it stuck a little. Next time I'll use a skillet instead.
- Form into 4 burgers and cook until no longer pink (in a skillet, should take about 6-7 min per side, in the oven, 350 degrees for approx 15-20 min)
- Serve each burger with 2 Tbsp reserved guacamole on top.