First off, I wanted to say thanks for sticking around through my posting hiatus! Its been a busy summer, and we’ve been away for most of it with camping trips. If you follow me on Instagram, I’ve snapped a couple pics of our adventures this summer. While I regret not being consistent with posting new recipes, a little break is nice and the girls enjoy extra un-interuppted time with their mommy. But, I’m happy to be getting back in my routine, and that means recipe testing and hopefully creating some new favorite recipes!
With summer being a little more indulgent than usual, I was inspired to make a low carb recipe that was easy and satisfying. These low carb garlic cheddar biscuits go great alongside any meal, and also make a great snack, and are very filling. My youngest gobbled them up too. They’re grain-free, as they’re made with almond meal (simply ground up raw almonds)
The hubby and I love a good biscuit and I do have a more traditional gluten-free biscuit recipe, Low Fat Cheddar Herb Biscuits, which are 14 g of carbs per biscuit. Whereas these are only 4 g carbs per biscuit.
While they aren’t the exact same texture as a traditional biscuit, they get a nice crust on the outside, and are a fairly light texture considering they’re made with almond meal. I chose to use almond meal vs. blanched almond flour because I had a huge bag of almonds on hand and it was easy to grind them up with my Blendtec. Plus, its a much cheaper option than buying blanched almond flour. But, if you have the blanched almond flour on hand, it would work just as well I’m sure.
They have a light garlic and cheese flavor. As for the cheese, you are welcome to use more than suggested, but I didn’t want the fat grams to increase any more. You will get a stronger cheddar flavor if you use an aged cheddar, so that’s what I recommend using.
Nevertheless, these are a quick to make gluten-free and grain-free biscuit option that are perfect alongside soup, sandwiches or even in little lunchboxes!
- 1½ cups almond meal (just ground up raw almonds)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (ensure its garlic powder, NOT garlic salt or recipe will be too salty)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup non-fat greek yogurt
- 3 Tbsp melted salted butter (just melted, not boiling hot)
- ¼ cup shredded aged or sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a muffin tin by misting lightly with oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond meal, garlic powder and baking powder.
- Add in the eggs, greek yogurt, melted butter and cheddar cheese. Combine with a whisk until its combined and no lumps appear.
- Pour about 2 Tbsp of the batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 11-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Once cooled, store leftovers in sealed container in fridge. Could also be frozen. To make crispy again, re-heat in the oven.