Need breakfast in a pinch? Me too! Every morning I’m trying to decide what I can throw together for breakfast in 5 minutes or less. I love my smoothies, but sometimes I’m in the mood for something savory. I have a great list of quick breakfast ideas, but wanted to come up with something new.
That’s why I decided on these make-ahead turkey sausage and egg burritos, and they came out fantastic! It took me about 25-30 minutes to prep 10 burritos, and they came out delicious, lower carb, and a heck of a lot healthier than what you’ll find in the freezer section of your grocery store.
Plus, you can put the fillings in of your choice. Swap out green for red pepper, leave out the onion, or use your favorite brand of turkey sausage.
For this recipe, I was trying to make the burritos big and filling, but lower in carbs and high fiber. So I picked up some ProteinUp Carb Down Flatout wraps from my local Walmart. They worked great in this recipe, as they’re a little thicker than your typical tortilla. So they stayed together really well.
Once rolled, I wrapped each one in plastic wrap and stored them in the freezer. To re-heat, I’d put in the microwave for 1 minute, then flip it over and microwave for another 45 seconds. You might need to play around with the cooking time with your microwave, as they are all so different.
- 1 lb raw turkey sausage*, casing removed
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups egg whites
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 packs of Flatout ProteinUp flatbreads* (10 wraps)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Remove your raw turkey from the casing and place in the pan. Breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks.
- Once the turkey sausage is almost fully cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the chopped onion and green pepper to the pan, cooking until the onion is translucent.
- Beat the 4 eggs in a small bowl, and mix with the 2 cups of egg whites.
- Add in all the egg mixture with the cooked vegetables.
- Once the egg has scrambled to a consistency you like, add back in the cooked sausage and cook it all together for a few minutes.
- Lastly, add the cheese and fold it in until the cheese has melted.
- Lay out all your 10 flatbread on the counter for easy assembly.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the 10 flatbread.
- Lay the flatbreads lengthwise with the mixture spread across the middle.
- Fold the sides inward.
- Fold at the bottom, and continue rolling to make a burrito.
- Once rolled, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer. To re-heat, microwave one 1 side for approx 1 minute, then flip over and cook another 45 seconds. Timing will depend on your microwave.
* I found the ProteinUp Flatout flatbreads at my local Walmart (in Canada). I've also gotten them at Safeway. If these aren't available near you, use your favorite low carb tortillas.