I’ve been getting questions lately about some healthy breakfast ideas. So I figured I would do an entire post on it.
I know that people have various amounts of time in the morning to eat breakfast. It can vary from 5 minutes to 30 minutes. So here are some ideas based on how much time you’ve got! These are great options if you’re trying to lose fat or maintain your weight.
- 0% fat greek yogurt with a few berries, and 10 drops of stevia mixed in
- Protein shake smoothie. Pumpkin Pie is my current fave!
- Protein shake mixed with water, handful of almonds
- Low fat cottage cheese, with a few sliced grapes mixed in
- Low carb, low sugar protein bar (use in moderation as its processed)
- Egg white scramble with herbs (like Mrs. Dash) done in the microwave, salsa on top
- Quick oats cooked with water, 1 scoop of protein powder & milk stirred in afterwards
- Quick oats (not cooked), mixed with milk of choice, 1 scoop protein, berries. Let sit for a few minutes, then eat.
- 0% fat greek yogurt mixed with 1/4 cup canned pumpkin, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and 10 drops (or 1-2 packets) of stevia
- Apple slices with a side of 0% greek yogurt with 2 Tbsp granola mixed in.
- Breakfast in a jar or Overnight oats in a jar (takes 5 min to prep the night before)
Make Ahead Options (Grab & Go)
- Muffins made with protein powder (I’ve got plenty recipes here. Type in “muffins” in search bar near the top of the page)
- Banana bread or pumpkin loaf (made ahead), and a protein shake mixed with water.
- Overnight oats. The night before, mix oats, greek yogurt, milk, your favorite fruit and a few nuts. Let sit overnight. In the morning, you have muesli! TIP: Some people like to use an almost-gone peanut butter jar!
- Breakfast Wraps – (pre-made) . Scramble some eggs with veggies and sausage, let cool. Grate some cheese and assemble in tortillas. Wrap tightly in plastic, store in freezer…then its grab & go! If you don’t do eggs, same can be done with ground turkey & chicken with your favorite spices.
- Protein pancakes (pre-made). Spread on 1 Tbsp peanut butter or almond butter & lower sugar jam. Or peanut butter and sliced banana.
- Mini frittata’s (pre-made). Made with egg whites, veggies, and cooked in muffin cups
- Protein waffles (pre-made). I make these and keep in the freezer and pop in the toaster like Eggo’s!
- Hard boiled eggs (pre-made) with toast, or cut up the egg, top with salsa and wrap in a whole wheat tortilla
- Hard boiled eggs & an apple with peanut butter/almond butter
- Bacon & cheddar protein muffins (instead of a McDonalds Egg McMuffin!)
- Whole grain cereal (steel cut oats, rye, millet, quinoa, oat bran). Pre-make a big batch, store in fridge and re-heat single servings.
- Homemade protein bars
- Egg white scramble with veggies, side of oatmeal. (My favorite scramble of the moment: 6 egg whites, red onion, red pepper, topped with a bit of goat cheese)
- Scrambled egg, corn tortilla, melted cheese & a side of salsa
- Protein pancake (single serving). Blend 1/3 cup oats, 3/4 cup liquid egg whites, cinnamon, vanilla. Cook like pancake. Topping ideas: nut butters, berries, low sugar jam, low sugar syrup, coconut spread, pumpkin or apple butter
- 1 poached egg, with scrambled egg whites. 2 slices whole grain (or gluten free) toast
- BLT. Egg white scramble, 1 slice turkey bacon, tomato & lettuce in a whole grain tortilla
- Blueberry pancakes (gluten free)
- Banana chocolate chip pancakes (gluten free)
- Gingerbread pancakes (gluten free)
- Baked oatmeal
- Cooked whole grain cereal (steel cut oats, millet, quinoa), egg white scramble on the side
- Protein waffles
- Baked frittata
Question! Is there anything I missed? What do you like for breakfast?