Sticky and sweet glazed walnuts. Plus, they are so easy as they are done in the slow cooker. I’m definitely not an expert when it comes to cooking with a slow cooker. But, my slow cooker nut recipes have all been really yummy. The other recipes I have are the Crock Pot Maple Walnuts and Cinnamon Sugar Slow Cooker Pecans.
These Slow Cooker Glazed Gingerbread Walnuts are definitely a great one to add to the list. I tried it a couple times and tweaked the recipe a bit. I urge you to taste the syrup and season to your liking. Like lots of cinnamon? Add more. Like nutmeg, allspice and more ginger kick…add those too. I kept it more simple. First round I added equal amounts of honey and molasses, but second time around I added a touch less molasses, plus I added cinnamon.
What’s great about these is they create these big yummy clusters. When they cool, they will become candied. You may have to break them apart a bit.
Walnuts lend a slightly bitter taste, so if you prefer another nut, that’s an option too. I think raw almonds and pecan halves would also work well.
These are great to have out on the coffee table during the holidays, and they’ll last a long time at room temperature. Definitely for a few weeks.
They would also make a cute homemade gift. Put some in a cellophane bag like this, or in a small tin. I’m sure whoever is receiving them will be thrilled.
- 5 cups raw walnut halves (464 grams)
- ¼ cup butter, salted or unsalted
- 4 Tbsp honey
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Place your slow cooker on low heat.
- Melt butter in microwave or on stove. Place in slow cooker. Add everything except the walnuts and whisk until combined.
- Add the walnuts to the glaze and stir until the walnuts are all coated.
- Cook on low, stirring every 30 minutes.
- In my slow cooker they were done in 2 hours 15 minutes. You'll know their done when there is no sauce at the bottom of the dish, and it gets more difficult to stir.
- Once done, spread out the walnuts on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.