Sweet and sticky chicken. Does it get much better? Chicken like this remind me of my childhood. My mom made a similar recipe, and my brother and I always gobbled it up. Its easy for kids to eat their dinner if it tastes like this. You will be fighting over the sauce. Fortunately, there is lots, so everyone can get their fair share.
I chose to use chicken thighs for this recipe, as I wanted it to taste extra tender with the dark meat. It worked out great. But if you want a little bit less fat, feel free to sub with chicken breasts instead. This would also work great with chicken wings for a game day recipe to serve to guests. Watch them disappear off the plate!
So, back to the sauce. You know how I said there is plenty to go around? Here’s the proof…
I hope you try this on your next chicken night. It may just become a new dinner staple in your family. It has for us!
- 16 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (or bone-in if you want. Cook time will be slightly more) *
- ⅓ cup BBQ sauce (whatever your favorite. Mine are Amazing Dad's & OrganicVille)
- 3 Tbsp lower sodium soy sauce (or for gluten-free use tamari or Braggs soy seasoning)
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup water (could also use arrowroot powder)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Place all the chicken thighs in your baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together all the other ingredients except cornstarch (and water).
- Pour sauce over chicken thighs and move them around a bit to get the sauce underneath.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes until chicken is done.
- Once chicken is done, remove the thighs from the baking dish and add the cornstarch mixed with water to the sauces in the baking dish. Whisk, and return to the oven for a few minutes until its hot, remove and whisk again. Its done when the sauce has thickened to your liking. Place the thighs back in the baking dish and serve.