I love when I can transform one of my favorite take out dishes into a healthier meal that the whole family enjoys! This egg roll in a bowl gathers all the best ingredients of an egg roll into a really easy, and quick weeknight dinner. There are some great veggies packed in there (hello cabbage!) to make this nutrient dense, and also happens to be gluten-free, dairy-free and can easy be made vegan by swapping out the turkey for a veggie ground.
Egg rolls minus the fried exterior aren’t that bad. Its mostly cabbage and other veggies stuffed in there. The garlic, ginger and sesame oil really give it the asian flavor, so don’t skip it. I also think you definitely want to use fresh garlic and ginger instead of the powdered kind. Gives it such a better flavor.
We served this over rice. The girls had it over noodles. If you want to keep it lower carb, you can have as is, or even over cauliflower rice would be great too! Hope you like this as much as we do!
- 454 g lean ground turkey (for vegan use a veggie ground)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped or grated
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 4 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp coconut aminos *
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- green onions
- sesame seeds
- crispy wontons (if you want crunch)
- In a large skillet, heat over medium heat. Spray with a bit of oil or cooking spray.
- Begin to brown the turkey (or veggie ground). Add in the carrots, onion, garlic and ginger until it begins to soften.
- Add in the shredded cabbage and cook down, stirring frequently.
- Once the cabbage starts to cook down, add in the coconut aminos and sesame oil.
- Continue to cook together until the cabbage has wilted down a lot (about 6-7 min).
- Serve as is (low carb) or over rice or noodles.
- Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds.