I admit it. Its fun to trick people. Especially when it comes to sneaking in healthy ingredients without them knowing. Yes, I do it, and I’m not ashamed at all, in fact, I do it all the time to my kids. Black beans isn’t something they normally go for, but brownies on the other hand? Always a winner.
That’s why I love this recipe so much. You will never know there are black beans in these, I promise. Just make sure you eat them cold, as it best conceals the black beans. All you will get is a dense, fudge-like healthy brownie! I’ve tried many variations of black bean brownies and these by far…are the best!
What’s even better is their gluten-free, grain-free, and low-carb as they are so high in fiber. But disregard that, as they really do taste indulgent, and not healthy.
They look so beautiful before they even go into the oven. Just look at that gorgeous swirl!
If you prefer to not use peanut butter, you could use almond butter, or omit the nut butter all together and leave them plain. I hope you enjoy them as much as we do. They’re always gone quickly in this house!
- 1 19oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites (or ¼ cup of carton egg whites)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup stevia baking formula (or approx 15 packets of stevia or sugar or substitute of choice)
- ¼ cup butter, melted (or vegan margarine for dairy-free)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp all natural peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray and 8×8 inch pan with oil.
- Blend all ingredients (except butter) in a food processor or powerful blender until very well blended. You may need to scrape the sides and blend again.
- When its just about finished processing, add in the melted butter. Then fold in the chocolate chips by hand with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Spread into the prepared pan.
- Place spoonfuls of peanut butter on top of the batter. Using a knife, swirl in the peanut butter to make a marbling effect.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until set around the outside and in the middle. It will just start to crack. Don't test with a toothpick, as it won't come out clean. You want them to be fudge-like anyway!
- Cool completely and cut into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.