I was forwarded a similar recipe from my friend. It was from a Company’s Coming cookbook and took an hour to make, so here is my quick ‘under 30 minute’ version! Its tasty and got a BIG thumbs up from the hubby (he went for seconds).
Makes 3 servings (approx 6 cups)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 1 c celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced (or 1 tsp jarred)
- 2 chicken breasts halves–approx 8oz (use pre-cooked or rotisserie chicken)
- 1 package pre-cooked brown rice eg. Uncle Bens bistro express
- 1/2 c water
- 1 can (14oz) stewed tomatoes, broken up–less sodium if you can find
- 1-2 tsp franks hot sauce (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp of each pepper, dried thyme, oregano, cayenne pepper
- 15 medium raw shrimp, peeled
- 3/4 c turkey kielbasa, diced (or other lean turkey sausage). Eg. Butterball Turkey Kielbasa
Heat olive oil in skillet pan, add chicken (if cooking from raw) & cook for 5 min. Add onion, celery, garlic, peppers. Saute for 5 min on medium, add kielbasa, chicken (if already cooked) spices & cook for 2-3 minutes together.
Add in pre-cooked brown rice and stewed tomatoes & water. Cook for a few minutes until the rice absorbs some of the liquid. Then add shrimp. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the shrimp is no longer pink. Serve!
Nutrition per serving (approx. 2 cups)
Calories: 365 Fat: 9.5g Carbs: 35g Fibre: 4g Sugars: 7g Protein: 34g