Pizza in any way, shape or form is welcomed by me, and most kids. Anything that reminds me of pizza makes me very happy. That’s why I love these quinoa pizza bites. I’ve seen some variations on Pinterest and wanted to come up with my own version. I love that these are gluten-free (just be sure the pepperoni you use is gluten-free…its usually on the label), and I also made it lactose-free, by using a lactose-free mozzarella cheese. (In Canada I get the L’Ancêtre brand at my local grocery store).
As I mentioned recently in my Chocolate Quinoa Muffins recipe (which I totally recommend you also make if you’re cooking up a batch of quinoa), I’ve gotten more into using my rice cooker. I’ve been cooking grains other than rice in it. Quinoa works fabulous in it, and I love that I just put in the water and quinoa, push the button, and it automatically switches to warm when its done. I don’t have to worry about burning it on the stove anymore. Quinoa isn’t exactly cheap anymore as its become so wildly popular, so burning a batch would be heart wrenching!
This recipe makes 1 tray (24 mini quinoa pizzas) so its no fuss. If you need to feed a crowd, I recommend doubling the batch as they will go pretty darn fast! The marinara dipping sauce is also a must in my book. I used a store bought one, as I wanted the easy route, but you could totally make your own if you prefer.
Don’t like turkey pepperoni? No problem! You could do a ham and pineapple version, or really put whatever you like on your pizza in here. You might just need to cook it a bit longer if you’re using something that releases a bit of water when it cooks (like veggies and fruit like pineapple).
Happy pizza(ish) baking!
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (1/2 cup dry should yield about 2 cups cooked)
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup packed (65g) shredded mozza cheese (I used a lactose-free cheese)
- ½ cup turkey pepperoni, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Marinara sauce (I used Newman's Own Marinara). Could also make your own with crushed tomato and your favorite spices.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cooled quinoa and all the other ingredients except the marinara sauce.
- Lightly spray a mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Using a tablespoon, put 1 spoonful of the mixture into each mini muffin tin.
- Firmly pack the quinoa mixture into the muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 minutes or so until firm and lightly golden around the edges.