Chex mix is a classic snack. I love making it around Christmas, or simply any time you want a delicious batch of snack mix! My favorite is the traditional version with seasoning salt and Worcestershire sauce. So yummy.
Its so simple to do in the slow cooker, and aside from stirring it a few times through the cooking process you don’t need to hover over it at all. Its done in just over 3 hours – start to finish. Definitely worth the wait and tastes way better than store bought snack mix.
I made this version gluten-free as I used gluten-free cereals and pretzels. If you aren’t gluten-free just adjust the recipe accordingly. Made either way, its just as delicious. My girls loved it too. I had it sitting on the counter in a container and they’d grab handfuls here and there.
Even though it makes 12 cups, beware that it will be gone before you know it! Its perfect to have sitting out around the holidays to snack on here and there between meals.
I won’t be posting any new recipes until the new year, so wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I’m looking forward to a little blogging break and enjoying the holidays with my family. The girls are at such a fantastic age (3 & 7 ), so I know I need to cherish all these special memories.
I hope you give this easy recipe a try over the holidays, and if you try it, I’d love for you to tell me what you think in the comments.
- 2 cups gluten-free pretzels (I use the Glutino ones)
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 10 cups (1 box - 365 g) Chex gluten-free rice cereal
- 1 cup plain Cheerios (there is a gluten-free version, but if not available, use another gluten-free cereal, like corn Chex)
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted (for dairy-free use vegan margarine)
- 2 or 3 tsp seasoning salt (I use Lawry's seasoning salt. Use 2 tsp for a little less salty)
- ¼ cup worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrin's is gluten-free in the USA only. In Canada, try French's or The Wizard's)
- 1 tsp garlic powder (not the same as garlic salt)
- Set your slow cooker to LOW.
- In your slow cooker, add in the cereals, peanuts and pretzels.
- In a small bowl mix together the melted butter, seasoning salt, worchestershire and garlic powder. Pour over the cereals and nuts in the slow cooker and fold in to cover everything.
- Cook in your slow cooker for 3 hours, stirring every hour in the first 2 hours and twice in the last hour to prevent burning.
- Once done, lay out the mix on a cookie sheet to cool. Once completely cooled, you can store the remainder in a container at room temp.